Thursday, April 30, 2015

Pre-May Birding

Today I went to Central Park to see what new birds have moved in. I started at Turtle Pond, where there were many Yellow-Rumped Warblers, as well as a few Palms and a Pine. I then traveled through the Ramble to the feeders, where I found a male Rose-Breasted Grosbeak on one of the feeders. It was there for a few minutes before it took. I found a Brown Thrasher at the Swampy Pin Oak and then went to The Point. There, people were looking at a Blue-Winged Warbler, drawing most of the attention away from the Black and White Warblers and the Louisiana Waterthrush that were also there. We watch the Blue-Winged for almost 10 minutes before it flew off across the lake. I did a bit more searching through the Ramble and found a Blue-Headed Vireo feeding near the ground at the Gill, along with more Yellow-Rumped Warblers. I then went back to the feeders where I found a bunch of people looking at 2 Baltimore Orioles high up in some trees. 3 new year birds for today. Many other migrants were seen today, but I will probably get nearly all of them in May.

New year birds:
91. Rose-Breasted Grosebeak
92. Blue-Winged Warbler
93. Baltimore Oriole

No comments:

Post a Comment