Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The April Norm?

Today after going to the Upper West Side, I thought a little afternoon birding would be fun. At the Reservoir, there were some Black Ducks and Northern Shovelers, along with the continuing Common Loon. As I headed towards the Ramble, I stopped by Turtle Pond. There were a few Eastern Phoebes there, as well as some more shovelers and a few Double-Crested Cormorants. I started hearing some tsip calls and realized that I was surrounded by a small flock of Palm Warblers! They seemed fairly tolerant of me, and as I searched the flock, I also found a Pine Warbler and a Golden-Crowned Kinglet. After that, I went to the Ramble. I saw Chipping Sparrows and a Golden-Crowned Kinglet at the feeders, and a Hermit Thrush at Maintenance Meadow. I then decided to make some runs along the gill. I found a Swamp Sparrow and another Hermit Thrush. Then, I ran into a guy who found a Ruby-Crowned Kinglet for me. Year Bird #71! Afterwards, I went back to the feeders and found a male Pine Warbler feeding on a suet cake. I've heard of these birds, along with kinglets, taking advantage of feeders, but usually only when there is no food around. It's strange to see this happen in April, since it was only in the mid 40s, but I guess it was just taking advantage of it. Today wasn't that good, but I did get a new addition to the list, even though I will probably see it this weekend.

#71: Ruby-Crowned Kinglet

No comments:

Post a Comment