Sunday, April 26, 2015

Some New Stuff Trickling In

Today I started my traversing through the Ramble by going to The Point. There were many Palm and Yellow-Rumped Warblers there, with a few Black-and-Whites too. I then found one of the walk leaders watching a Louisiana Waterthrush. After that, I ran into some people looking at a Northern Waterthrush. I then went to the feeders, where there were 2 female Purple Finches. I then went to Turtle Pond to meet up with our group. Then, we went through Shakespeare Garden to the Belvedere Walk (that's what I call it) at the south side of Turtle Pond. There, we saw Yellow Rumps, Palms, and our first Yellow Warbler of the season, as well as 2 Blue-Headed Vireos and a Tree Swallow. Then, at Maintenance Meadow, we found 3 Savannah Sparrows, which usually show up at places like Turtle Pond.We then went to the feeders, where we saw the Purple Finches, a Pine Siskin, and a Coopers Hawk. I also saw a distant Chimney Swift there. After that, we headed to The Point, where we refound both of the waterthrushes and found a Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher, as well as finding a Winter Wren in the Oven.  At the lake, we saw a coot, 2 shovelers, more swifts, and a Barn Swallow. We then refound the Yellow Warbler at Maintenance Meadow and went to Turtle Pond. Most of the same stuff was there from before, with a few more Pine Warblers and a Northern Parula being new. After that, we went to lunch. After lunch, I tried to see if I could find stuff in Strawberry Fields. No luck, but I did find a Great Egret in the Upper Lobe and a Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher near Hernshead. 7 new species for the year today, raising my total to 89.

No comments:

Post a Comment