Friday, April 24, 2015

Wren a Rarity Shows Up

Today I heard about a Marsh Wren that showed up yesterday at the Pond in Central Park. Marsh Wren is a rare. but regular migrant through the park. They are also very elusive, hiding in the reeds. Anyway, I heard that the bird was refound this morning. This afternoon, I went to the site where the bird was being seen. I met up with a woman who said she saw the bird 15 minutes before I got there. We waited. Another guy showed up. We spotted a Hermit Thrush along the shore, and then the others saw a bit of movement. Could it be the wren? More waiting. Not long after, the Marsh Wren finally showed. Life bird for me! Immidiately after I spotted the wren, I spotted another small bird in the reeds. A Northern Parula! New year bird! After that, the wren went into the reeds and we didn't really see it again.

Species List:

Mallard
Wood Duck
Canada Goose
Red-Tailed Hawk
Blue Jay
MARSH WREN (Year bird #81)
Hermit Thrush
American Robin
European Starling
Ruby-Crowned Kinglet
Black-and-White Warbler
Palm Warbler
Northern Parula (Year bird #82)
White-Throated Sparrow (heard)
Song Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Common Grackle
House Sparrow


No comments:

Post a Comment